Oral Placement Therapy
Oral placement therapy is a tactile proprioceptive technique that utilities auditory, visual and tactile stimulation to the mouth to improve speech clarity, differentiation of oral movements, and feeding skills.
In simple language, OPT is for Speech Clarity and Feeding problems. It is developed by Sara Rosenfeld Johnson and has seen great results when working with children with Autism, Apraxia, Celebral Palsy, Down Syndrome, Developmental Delays and other related Childhood Language Disorders.
How OPT will help your child?
1) It helps in increasing awareness of the oral mechanism
2) It helps in normalizing and tactile sensitivity
3) It helps in improving the precision of volitional movements of oral structures for speech production.
4) It increases differentiation of oral movements
5) This improves feeding skills and nutritional intake
6) It also helps in producing speech sounds.